Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Make a thick plait by cutting approximately 40 strands of blue embroidery thread 20cm in length each. Tape the ends down to a table with sticky tape so that the thread is held in place. Separate the thread into three sections and plait the thread until you reach the end. Tie a tight knot around the end of the plait with a piece of blue thread. Take another piece of blue thread and tie this in a tight knot around the top, where the plait began. Remove from the sticky tape and trim the ends to create an even tassel finish.
- To make the mini tassels, separate a long piece of purple embroidery thread into thinner strands then wrap one thin strand around a piece of card 5 x 5cm about 50 times. Take another piece of the same coloured thread and slide this under the wrapped thread then tie tightly with a knot. Remove the tassel from the card and with another piece of thread wrap this around the tassel about a third of the way down from the top and tie tightly with a knot. Wrap the excess thread around this knot and tuck it in when you reach the end. Lastly trim the tassel at the bottom ensuring that the tassel ends are even in length.
- Repeat step 2 until you are left with seven mini tassels.
- Attach a gold jump ring to the top of each tassel then loop the jump rings with the tassels on evenly along the bottom half of the blue plait. Carefully close each jump ring up with pliers.
- Take a gold necklace chain and line up the plait along the centre of the chain. Using a thin strand of embroidery thread the same colour as the plait, sew the chain to the plait.
- Measure how long you would like your necklace to be by checking the length of the necklace in front of a mirror and cut any excess chain off.
- On either end of the chain attach a gold jump ring. Then on one of the jump rings attach a lobster claw clasp.
When tying your thread into a plait, tape the ends down to a table with sticky tape so that the thread is held in place.