Beginner. Adult supervision needed
Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- To make a candle in a square glass holder, break off 4 wax squares, knead to soften into a flattened square approximately 3cm x 3cm then place the wax inside the candle holder. Firmly press the edges of the wax with your finger so it pushes into the corners of the glass.
- To add the next layer, break off 4 more wax squares in another colour, knead to soften into a square then place the wax over the first colour. Press down firmly so there are no gaps between the 2 layers and push the wax into the corners.
- Repeat with 3 more layers of wax to build up the stripes. Press each layer firmly down so there are no gaps and the wax is pushed into the corners on every layer. As the glass gets wider towards the top, use 5 wax squares for the top 2 layers. Press the top layer to make it smooth.
- To make a candle in a circular glass votive, use the same method as above with each colour layer made from 4 wax squares shaped into 4cm circles. As with the square votive, add an extra square for the top layers where the glass gets wider.
- Cut a piece of wick 6-7cm in length. Push a cocktail stick into the centre of the candle to make a hole, making it wide enough so the wick so it can be easily pushed inside. Straighten the piece of wick, push it inside the hole then carefully press the wax around the top. Trim the wick if it looks too long. Try experimenting with a variety of wider and thinner colour stripes to make more candles.
To make the wax easier to knead and shape, leave it in a warm place for 10-15 minutes to soften, or gently warm the wax on both sides for 15-20 seconds with a hairdryer. To apply more pressure when kneading, hold the wax between your thumb and forefinger with the other hand over the top so the thumbs and fingers are crossing each other. Squeeze the thumb and fingers on top so they press the fingers underneath holding the wax.