Easy. Adult supervision needed
Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Print the template and cut out the moon shapes. Draw around the moon shapes on some yellow foam and cut them out. Place them to one side for later.
- Use a ruler to draw a line across the middle of a paper plate. On one side use a ruler and pencil to make diagonal sections. These will be the farmers’ fields. Cut all the pieces out with scissors and draw around them on foam in the appropriate colours for the fields.
- Cut small pieces of pipe-cleaner to make the fields vegetables. Keep the pieces straight for the wheat fields, twist together red and green for the tomato plants, add small orange spirals to straight green pieces to make pumpkins, and make figure-of-8 loops for green crops. Use glue to stick your vegetables into place and allow to dry.
- Carefully poke a hole through the middle of the paper plate with a sharp pencil. (If you have blue-tac this can be placed this on the other side for safety, or ask an adult to help)
- Fold a pipe-cleaner in half. About 3cms from the folded point, twist the pipe-cleaners together for about 4cms. Shape your pointed arrow in the space above this twisted section. Poke both ends through the hole in the paper plate, then separate them and press them against the plate’s back.
- Measure and cut a piece of ribbon about 18cms long and glue it to the back of your paper plate at the top to hang the tracker.
The date of the Harvest Moon changes every year. It is usually the closest full moon to the Autumn equinox, which is the date that marks the change of seasons from Summer to Autumn.