Beginner. Adult supervision needed
Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Print out the butterfly template onto a sheet of white copier card/paper.
- Take a polystyrene sheet and place a piece of double sided tape onto each edge of the sheet. Peel off the backing and place another polystyrene sheet on top to stick them together.
- Repeat step 2 so that you now have three polystyrene sheets stuck together. Then use the same technique to stick the butterfly template on top.
- Press the pins into the polystyrene at even points around the butterfly, making sure there is a pin in every corner, or any point where two lines meet. The pins should be pushed about two thirds of the way in, so there is enough room left to wrap the string around it.
- Take some yellow embroidery thread and tie a knot around one of the pins in the bottom section of the butterfly’s body. Make sure you leave about 2-3 inches of thread at the end, as you will need this later.
- Wrap the string around each pin in the body section, making sure it crosses over in different directions. You can cross the string in a criss-cross pattern, or a random pattern. Try to make sure each pin has been used at least once.
- Wrap the string around the outside of the body section, then take it back to the pin you started with and tie a knot with the end of the thread that you left.
- Repeat steps 5-7 using purple thread in the top sections of the wings. Then repeat again us-ing blue thread in the bottom sections of the wings.
- Trim the ends of the threads to complete your butterfly design.
Try not to pull the string too tight, as you might pull the pins out of the backing.