Beginner / KS2. Adult supervision needed.
Time to Make
Up to 1 hour + drying time for glue and paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- To make ears, cut 2 small matching pieces of card then fix onto the maracas with small strips of sticky tape.
- To make a beak, cut a 5cm diameter semi-circle from card, curl it into a cone, tape the ends then stick it onto the side of a maraca.
- Tear up some small strips of coloured tissue paper. Lightly paste glue over the maracas and the card shapes then carefully press tissue paper over the top. Brush over the top layers of tissue, smoothing the surface. Leave the maracas to dry standing up inside a plastic margarine container or a large yogurt pot.
- When the glue and tissue has thoroughly dried, paint some details onto your maracas.You could add patches of different colours or patterns. Leave to dry.
- Glue wiggle eyes onto your maracas. You could also glue feathers, ribbon, sequins or gems as decoration.
If any areas of tissue paper tear as you paste it down, leave it to dry and add another piece of tissue over the top You may find it easer to work on the top section of the maraca first, allowing the glue or paint to dry first before working on the handle.