Beginner. Adult supervision needed
Time to Make
1.5 hours + drying time for paint and glue
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- To make the mammoth’s body, scrunch up 5 or 6 sheets of newspaper. Press the newspaper into an egg shape then tightly wrap it with masking tape to hold the shape, approximately 10cm x 15cm. To make the head, tightly scrunch up 3 sheets of newspaper into a smaller egg shape, approximately 6cm x 10cm. Wrap tape around the head to hold the shape. Tape the head onto the body at an angle. Twist and fold 2 sheets of newspaper into a long trunk then wrap it with masking tape. Tape the trunk on to the head, if it looks too long trim the end with scissors.
- Make 4 legs from bamboo circles. For each leg, glue 3 bamboo circles together in a stack with PVA or a glue gun. Leave to dry. Glue the legs onto the body so the mammoth stands up.
- Cut up a roll of ModRoc into 10cm wide strips. One a time, dip the strips into a bowl of water, squeeze out any excess water then press the strips onto the mammoth. Cover the trunk, head, body and legs with ModRoc, smoothing down each one as you go. Cover the tusks with ModRoc and leave them to dry separately.
- To make the tusks, twist 2 pipe cleaners together for each tusk then cover with ModRoc. Leave to dry.
- Paint the mammoth when the ModRoc has dried. Leave the paint to dry.
- Carefully poke a hole for the 2 tusks towards the bottom of the mammoth’s head. Push the tusks into the hole with a blob of glue. Leave to dry.
- Chop some wool scraps in half (7-8cm). Place the mammoth lying dow, paste glue over the body then start pressing the pieces of wool on top so they hang down like a fringe. Stick the wool in 3 or 4 layers working upwards towards the top of mammoth’s body. Turn the mammoth over and repeat to cover the other side in wool. Stick more wool pieces under the head. o cover the head, make 5 or 6 bunches of wool tied in the middle, using the full length (15cm) of the wool scraps with about 8 pieces per bunch. Stick the tied bunches onto the mammoth’s head and along the top of the back.
- Paint the toes and along the tusks grey. Stick wiggle eyes onto the head.
The legs, body and head can be stuck together with PVA and left to to dry or, for quicker sticking use a glue gun.