Beginner; Key Stage 2 (Age 7+); Key Stage 1 (Age 5+)
Time to Make
45 minutes + drying time for paint and glue
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Draw a simple design in pencil onto a wooden coaster.
- Paint the shield. Leave the first colour to dry before adding another one.
- When the paint has fully dried, scrunch up a 15cm x 1cm piece of tissue paper into a tight ball then glue it into the middle of the shield.
- Cut a 3cm circle from kitchen foil then glue it over the tissue paper ball. Press the foil over the ball and flatten it evenly around the edge. This part of the shield is called the boss.
- Cut a 30cm x 3cm strip of tissue paper, brush with glue then press it around the edge of the shield. A real Viking shield would be edged with a strip of rawhide or leather to stop the wood from splitting if it was hit.
Look at pictures of Viking shields for some ideas on different colours and patterns.