Time to Make
1 hour not including drying time
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Take a coffee filter and cut along the seam to open it out. Take three colouring pens and draw a selection of wiggly lines [like in the formation of a rainbow] around the bottom, moving upwards, horizontally.
- Fill a cup or short glass with water - about two thirds full - and fold the filter into a loose cone shape. Place the filter in the cup or glass so only the very tip of the base touches the water.
- Wait and watch! The colours will separate and move upwards creating vivid, colourful shapes. Once the colours have stopped spreading, remove the filter and leave it to dry.
- Repeat using different colours and different colour combinations on other coffee filters. Try using multiple lines of a single colour, or two different colours or as many as four or five so that you can compare the different effects.
- Once dry, fold each filter in the same way it had been folded when slotted inside the cup or glass. Twist the base a little to create a type of stem, then twist a pipe cleaner around it to secure and form the stem. Repeat for all.
Don’t let your drawn on pen marks actually get submerged in the water