Beginner; Key Stage 2 (Age 7+)
Time to Make
1 hour + drying time for paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Paint a box with metallic colours, including the inside section and around the sides. Leave the box to dry.
- Use a pencil to draw a letter outline (approximately 7cm x 10cm) onto the top of the box then fill it in with white paint. Paint some areas of the letter with a colour, leaving some of the white showing through. Leave to dry.
- Draw a border around the edges of the box with metallic pens, or stick down some patterned paper strips.
- Draw patterns around the letter with deco pens or metallic pens, then outline the letter in a black deco pen so the design stands out more clearly.
- Glue acrylic gems onto the box, glue or tape a piece of ribbon to the underside of lid and another piece on the back, so the ends can be tied at the sides.
Before you start, draw around the box onto a piece of paper then roughly work out the design for your letter to fit inside the middle area. You could trace down the letter outline onto the painted box.