Time to Make
2 hours + drying time for glue and paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Glue 2 masks together to make a base to work on.
- Place the mask onto a piece of thick card then draw around the edge.Cut out the card, making it a few mm smaller than the pencil outline. Paint the card black and leave to dry.
- Place the mask over the card so they fit neatly together, trim the edges of the card for a better fit if necessary. Use a pencil to mark the position for the eyes through the holes then remove the mask. Glue 2 gems in place for the eyes. If you plan to hang up the mask, make 2 holes in the card, thread with a loop of string then tie a knot so it is securely attached.
- Squeeze glue around the edge of the black card using a glue gun then quickly stick the mask on top and leave it to dry. Or, to stick with PVA, apply plenty glue around the edge of the card then press the mask on top, leave to dry then cover any gaps with masking tape.
- Choose a selection of coloured mosaic stones in different sizes. Brush glue over the nose on the mask, leave the glue for a minute to get tacky then arrange 2 or 3 triangular mosaic stones to fit. Start covering the face with mosaics, working on a small area at a time. Cover the whole mask, except the mouth area. Leave small gaps in between the stones to give cracked effect.
- Cover the mouth with black paint then paint over the whole mask, allowing the black to run into the cracks between the mosaics. If the paint looks too thick, water it down so it can easily run between the cracks. Rub over the surface of the mosaics tiles to remove the paint with paper towel. Leave to dry.
- Brush glue over the mouth then stick on 4 small square mosaic tiles or teeth. Leave the mask to dry before hanging it up.
Use green mosaics for jade and black or brown colours for obsidian, a stone made from the remains of volcanic lava. Or use a combination of other mosaic colours to represent other precious stones.