Time to Make
2 hours + drying time for glue and paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Glue 3 x A4 polystyrene sheets together. Spread the glue thinly and evenly. Repeat with another 3 sheets so you have 2 thicker pieces to work with. Leave the glue to dry.
- To make the base for the pyramid measure a square 16cm x 16cm onto one of the 3-layer polystyrene pieces then cut it out.
- To construct the pyramid, measure and cut more squares from the polystyrene, making each square 2cm smaller until there are 7 pieces. Glue the squares then stack them together into a pyramid. Leave to dry.
- To make the pyramid steps, cut 4 x strips of corrugated card 2cm x 10cm. Glue the strips onto the pyramid. Cut 8 x thin strips from a single polystyrene sheet to fit along sides of the steps, trim the ends into diagonals so they fit neatly in place.
- To make the top section of the pyramid, glue a polystyrene square slightly smaller than the top step to make a shallow platform. Cut 4 x 2cm x 1.5cm polystyrene pieces. Glue them together to make a box. Glue the box on top of the pyramid with a flat roof. Add thin strips of polystyrene onto the pyramid to add details or to vary the design.
- Paint the pyramid pale grey. Leave to dry. Add thin lines with a felt pen or a paintbrush to make a stone block pattern. Add doors at the top of the pyramid with black paint or a felt pen.
All the polystyrene squares need to be measured with straight, matching sides and 90o corners. A piece of card with right-angled corners or a set square will help to make the pieces more accurate.