Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- First, we’re going to decorate the bottle. Cut a label 3xm x 2cm from white card. Draw a coloured border around the outline with a coloured pen, as shown.
- Next write the words MAGIC BALLOONS in a different colour pen in the centre of the label. Pick a colour of Pictixx pens and add glittery dots around the inside of the border, as shown and around the neck of the bottle. Leave to dry.
- If you have plain balloons you can write messages on the balloon in pen that can be revealed once they inflate. We’ve used our smiley face balloons instead.
- Once the label is dry, affix it to the front of a clean, empty plastic bottle with glue dots.
- Pop the lid out of the bottle. Using a funnel, put 1 cup of baking soda inside a balloon. Hold the balloon so that the powder won’t spill out, and carefully remove the funnel.
- Pour the vinegar into the bottle. The bottle should be about one-third full. Now for the tricky bit! Hold the balloon by the neck and let the “full” part of the balloon containing the baking soda flop to one side. Place the neck of the balloon over the neck of the bottle and then quickly bring the balloon upright so the baking powder falls into the water. Then sit back and watch what happens!
Make sure you’re wearing aprons and it’s best to do this outside in case the balloon pops off and the ingredients spill over!