Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Take a piece of white A4 paper and scrunch it up so its crumpled then unfurl it.
- Mix a pea-sized blob of brown paint with water until its very diluted - a very very light brown wash the colour of weak tea.
- Apply it to one side of the paper with a foam brush, making sure the coverage is very thin by spreading the colourwash out as thinly as possible on the paper. It will look darker in the creases, but thats how its supposed to look so dont worry.
- Leave it to dry, then flip it over onto the other side and repeat until that side is covered too. Leave to dry again.
- When dry, lay out the paper so its landscape in orientation. Take a straw and line it up on one short side, about a cm from the edge, at a slight diagonal angle. Stick down with glue dots.
- Repeat for the other side so the straw is arranged symmetrically to the first.
- Then, roll it up from both sides, so the paper on each side curls around the straws, rolling once on one side, then on the other until the rolled up paper tubes meet in the middle. Hold it lightly like that and cut a piece of string, long enough to go around the rolled up paper, and glue it horizontally to the back of the scroll with glue dots or a glue gun, so theres an equal about of string hanging free on each side.
- Then pull the ends of the string around the two rolls and secure it in a bow at the front to keep it in place. The scroll can now be unrolled and rolled up.
Although you need to spread the paint very thinly on the paper, try not to go over it too much or it might tear.