Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- To make the background, cut off a 60cm length of hessian from the roll. For the hanging loop, cut an 80cm length of twine or ribbon. To stop the ends from fraying, stick a strip of double-sided tape along one end of the hessian, peel off the backing, press the twine on top. Fold over the hessian to hem the edge then press down, with the twine inside. Press again to make sure it has stuck down all the way along, then tie a knot in the twine to make a hanging loop. Repeat at the other end of the hessian, without the twine.
- To make the pockets for the advent hanging, measure and cut out 24 felt rectangles measuring 6cm x 7cm. Use red and white felt, or different colours if you prefer. Place all the rectangles onto the hessian background to check they fit, leaving about 1cm between each piece.
- One at a time, stick strips of double-sided tape along the sides and bottom edge of each felt piece then press them onto the background. To make the pockets stronger, stitch the corners of each piece with a needle and thread.
- Cut out some simple felt Christmas trees and stockings. Stick them onto the pockets with double-sided tape, alternating the shapes with self-adhesive felt stars. Stick glitter foam numbers onto each pocket with glitter stars to decorate.
- If there’s enough space, add some felt and glitter stars to decorate the top and bottom of the background.
To strengthen the hanging, place wooden skewers along the top and bottom edges, on top of the double-sided tape, before folding over the hessian.