Time to Make
2 hours + drying time for paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- To make shallow containers for the tea lights, cut off 2.5cm sections from the bases of 4 x paper cups. Paint them on the insides, outsides and under the bases. Leave to dry.
- Glue the painted cups onto a rattan wreath with a glue gun. Check the cups are evenly spaced and level before the glue sets. Alternatively, use strong PVA glue, which will take longer to dry.
- Squeeze glue around the sides of the cups then stick pieces of dried moss on top. Work on one cup at a time.
- Cut a 50cm piece of twine and 2 x 150cm pieces to hang the wreath. Fold both pieces of the 150cm twine in half into a double thickness. Tie the ends on one of the folded pieces around the wreath with a knot, then tie the other end onto the opposite side of the wreath. Tie the second 150cm piece of twine onto the wreath in the same way, so the 4 tied ends are evenly spaced around the wreath between the cups. Hold all the pieces of hanging twine in the middle then lift the wreath to check it looks balanced. If it looks uneven, adjust the hanging point by moving your fingers. Tie the shorter 50cm piece of twine around the middle into a loop with a knot to hold the hanging threads together.
- Use a glue gun to stick fir cones onto the wreath. Twist the wires on some red berries to make small bunches then push the ends into the wreath or into a gap underneath the cups with a blob of glue.
- To hang a vine star onto the hanging thread, cut a 6cm piece of craft wire, thread it through the top of the star then twist the ends around the twine to hold it in place. Tuck in the ends on the wire or trim it with scissors. Attach more stars in the same way.
- To hang a vine star underneath the wreath, cut a 10cm piece of craft wire, thread it through the top of the star then twist the end around the point. Push the other end of the wire through a gap in the wreath then twist to hold it in place. Attach more stars under the wreath in the same way. Adjust the positions by shortening the wires or, if you prefer the stars to hang lower down tie them onto longer pieces of wire.
- Place LED tea lights into the cup holder.
To fix the candle holders more securely onto the wreath, make 2 holes in the bases of the painted paper cups then thread with a piece of craft wire. Wrap the wire around the wreath then twist the ends together.