Time to Make
40 minutes + drying time
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Take the paper off of a clean tin can, then cover it in a coat of red paint and leave to dry. Once dry, paint on some black spots to make it look like a ladybird.
- When the paint is dry, cover the can with a coat of acrylic varnish to make it water resistant.
- Cut a circle of thick cardboard (from a cardboard box) that is very slightly smaller then the tin can so that it fits inside.
- Cover the cardboard circle in glue, and cover it in upright bamboo sticks. Leave to dry.
- Fold a piece of hessian and place it in the bottom of the tin can, so it is approximately an inch up from the bottom. Then place the bamboo stick circle into the tin can on top of the hessian.
- Place more bamboo sticks on top of the ones in the tin can, so they now reach the top of the can. Repeat this until the can is completely full and the bamboo sticks are wedged in enough that they won’t fall out.
- Cut a long strip of yellow ribbon and tie it to one end of the tin can so the two ends of the ribbon are at the top. Then tie the ends in a knot to create a loop.
- Repeat step 7 with another piece of ribbon to create a loop on the other end of the tin can.
If you can't get the paper off of your tin can, try soaking it in warm water for a few minutes. To help make it water resistant you will need to give a final coat of acrylic varnish.