Time to Make
40 minutes + Drying time
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Using a rolling pin roll out the clay so that it is at least 0.5cm thick.
- Using a pencil, gently draw out 4 heart shapes onto the clay roughly similar sizes. The heart shapes do not have to be perfect!
- Cut out the heart shapes from the clay using a plastic modelling tool. Alternatively, you could cut out heart shapes using a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Smooth down the edges using water on your finger to make 4 clean edged heart shapes.
- Place the pointed ends of each heart shape overlapping each other to form a bowl shape. Press the pieces together and use water on your finger to stick them together securely. Leave to dry.
- Cut out a circle shape from the air drying clay. Using the bottom of your pencil, press down on top of the clay circle lots of times to make little circle indents. This is to make some details in the clay for the middle of the poppy.
- Place the circle into the middle of the poppy and stick down to the bowl using water on your finger. Leave the poppy bowl to dry.
- Once the bowl is dry, paint the petals red using acrylic paint. Leave to dry.
- Paint the middle circle of the poppy black, leave to dry.
Use water and a paintbrush or your finger to smooth out any cracks or bumps in the clay whilst making the bowl.