Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Cut a piece of white wool roughly 20cm long and put to the side. This will be used to tie the pom pom together.
- To make the pom pom, open up the large purple pom pom maker and wrap white wool around one of the semi circles. The more layers added the bigger and fluffier the pom pom will be.
- On the other semi-circle, wrap a small section roughly 4 cm wide with layers of pink wool, as shown. Cover the rest of the semi-circle with layers of white wool.
- Close the pom pom maker and cut the wool down the gap through the middle of the pom pom maker.
- Using the 20cm long piece of wool set aside earlier, tie it tightly in the gap where you cut through the middle of the pom pom maker to secure the pom pom with a double knot.
- Remove the pom pom maker to reveal your pom pom. Trim around the edges of the pom pom to make a neat fluffy shape for the unicorn’s head. The pink section will be at the bottom for the unicorn’s nose.
- Take a split metal ring and attach it to the tied piece of wool in the middle of the pom pom that holds it together at the top of the unicorn’s head with the pink section at the bottom.
- Using a pencil on a sheet of black self-adhesive foam, draw 2 arch shapes for the unicorn’s eyes and 2 small circles for the unicorn’s nostrils. Cut out the shapes and stick them to the pom pom by peeling off the backing from the foam shapes.
- Cut a triangle shape out of self-adhesive glitter foam. Without removing the backing, place a blob of super tacky multi-purpose glue to the bottom of the horn and stick it into the top of the pom pom at the top of the unicorn’s head. Hold in place for 30 seconds and then leave to dry.
- Draw 2 curved triangle shaped unicorn ears using a pencil on a sheet of white self-adhesive foam, cut out the shapes but do not remove the backing. Place a blob of super tacky glue at the bottom of both ears and stick them into the pom pom either side of the unicorn horn. Hold each ear in place for 30 seconds then leave to dry.
- Stick a self-adhesive satin gem flower onto the inside of one of the unicorn’s ears.
- Once you are happy with your unicorn, attach a metal belt clip keychain to the split metal ring.
Instead of using glitter foam, you can create the unicorn horn from plain foam covered with glue and sprinkled with glitter. Although a pom pom maker is the easiest way to make this project, you can still make the unicorn using the traditional cardboard method.