Time to Make
1 hour 15 minutes
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Take a wooden peg doll and begin by painting a skin tone colour onto the head of the peg doll and paint on some hair. Leave to dry and add a face using a thin black pen.
- Paint stripy tights onto the legs of the peg doll and some shoes. Leave to dry.
- Paint the top of the fairys dress by painting the middle of the peg doll. Leave to dry.
- To make the pom pom dress, you can choose any colour wool you like. You can either use one colour or multiple colours of wool (see Rainbow Pom Pom Keyring for multi-coloured pom pom instructions on Creative Station).
- Once you have chosen your wool colour, cut a piece roughly 20cm long and put to the side. This will be used to tie the pom pom together.
- Open up the medium orange pom pom maker and wrap the chosen colour of wool around both semi-circles. The more layers added the bigger and fluffier the pom pom will be.
- Close the pom pom maker and cut the wool down the gap through the middle of the pom pom maker.
- Before tying the pom pom together, push the peg doll half way through the middle of the pom pom maker. Its okay if some pieces of wool fall out when you push the peg doll through, as long as its not too much!
- Using the 20cm long piece of wool set aside earlier, tie it tightly in the gap where you cut through the middle of the pom pom maker to secure the pom pom and peg doll with a double knot.
- Remove the pom pom maker and trim around the edges of the pom pom to make a neat shape for the fairys dress.
- Take 2 skeleton leaves and apply a small blob of super tacky glue to the bottom of the leaf. Stick the leaves into the top of the pom pom dress just behind the peg doll to make the fairys wings. Hold each leaf in place for 30 seconds and then leave to dry.
- Roll a small amount of air drying clay into a ball shape in your hands and gently squish down to make a flat circle shape to create a base for the fairy to stand up in. Smooth the edges with a small amount of water on your finger to remove any cracks in the clay.
- Stick the fairys stripy legs into the middle of the clay base so that she is standing up. Leave the clay to dry and then paint over it. Leave to dry.
You may need someone else to hold the peg doll in place whilst you are securing the pom pom to the middle of the peg doll. Although a pom pom maker is the easiest way to make this project, you can still make the pom pom peg doll fairy using the traditional cardboard method.