Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Take 5 natural hobby straws and paint them green. Leave to dry. Add another coat. Leave to dry.
- To make the pom pom flower heads, choose a colour of wool and cut a piece roughly 20cm long and put to the side. This will be used to tie the pom pom together.
- Open up the medium orange pom pom maker and wrap the chosen colour of wool around both semi-circles. The more layers added the bigger and fluffier the pom pom will be.
- Close the pom pom maker and cut the wool down the gap through the middle of the pom pom maker.
- Using the 20cm long piece of wool set aside earlier, tie it tightly in the gap where you cut through the middle of the pom pom maker to secure the pom pom with a double knot.
- Remove the pom pom maker to reveal your pom pom and trim around the edges of the pom pom to make a neat spherical shape.
- Repeat steps 2-6 to create using different colours of wool to make 5 pom pom flower heads.
- Once you have made the pom poms, you can attach each one to the top of a painted natural hobby straw by pushing the top of the straw through the middle of the pom pom. You may have to turn the pom pom a few times to find the right direction for the straw to go through easily.
- Once all 5 flowers are completed, attach 1 or 2 skeleton leaves to the middle of each green stem using glue dots.
- Arrange the flowers in a vase or a glass jar.
You can vary your bouquet by making the flower pom poms in different sizes. Also, trimmed into heart shape, they make a lovely gift for Valentine and Mothers Day. Although a pom pom maker is the easiest way to make this project, you can still make the flower pom poms using the traditional cardboard method.