Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- On purple felt, draw out a spiky flower shape that is roughly 9cm tall and 9cm wide. Cut out the shape and trace it 2 more times so that there are 3 purple flowers. Cut these out so that there are now 3 spiky purple flowers.
- Take three strands of green embroidery thread and a needle. Hold a yellow button in the centre of one of the purple flowers and begin to sew it in place. Once the button is secure, cut the thread.
- Stack the three flowers on top of one another and sew them together just under the button.
- With the same three strands of embroidery floss begin to pass the needle through the flower petals in a loose pattern. Make sure the stitch is as close to the button as possible do not pull on the thread too hard. When every petal has a stitch through it, gently tug on the thread so that the petals bunch up around the button, creating a blooming flower effect. Tie off the thread and cut it.
- Repeat step 4 with the middle flower, but make sure it's slightly looser than the top flower and that the petals aren’t as closely bunched together. Tie off the stitch and cut the thread.
- Draw a spiky leaf shape onto green felt that is roughly 9cm tall and 3 cm wide. Cut out the shape and trace it onto another piece of green felt. Cut out the second leaf.
- With the same green felt cut a rectangle that is 3cm wide and 7cm tall. Cut two crescent shapes out of either side of the rectangle to make the stem of the thistle.
- Squeeze a small amount of glue onto the top of the rectangular stem. Stick it to the back of the flower so it is placed just behind the yellow button. Wait for the glue to dry or to become more tacky and secure before sticking the two leaves on both sides of the flower with more tacky glue. Leave to dry once again.
- Peel off the backing of a self-adhesive badge pin and secure it to the back of the badge at the centre of the flower.
Replace the badge pins with some self-adhesive magnets to turn this thistle pin into a patriotic fridge magnet that can be enjoyed by the whole family.