Time to Make
1 hour 30 minutes
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Take out the inner drawers of 24 matchboxes, and paint the outside of the empty boxes with green acrylic paint.
- While the paint is drying, paint the end of the drawers with acrylic paint in different colours (red, blue, yellow, white). Leave to dry.
- When the drawer ends are dry, using the Sparkle Glitter Paint Pens write numbers 1-24 on the painted end of the drawer in different colours. Leave to dry.
- When all the painted surfaces are completely dry, slide the drawers in the matchbox covers. This will make them sturdier when you come to glue them together.
- For the first row of the tree, using Super Tacky Glue along the side of the matchbox, stick three boxes together, ensuring their numbered ends are all facing out. Hold them in place for a few seconds.
- The next row consists of five matchboxes. As there are only three on the first layer, you will have two that are unsupported on your second row, so prop them up with something like a piece of sticky tack until the glue is dry.
- The next row has four boxes, then the remaining layers are as follows: two rows of three, two rows of two, then two single matchboxes. Make sure you hold each box in place for a short while before adding another to ensure the glue fuses securely.
- Once the glue has dried its time for the extra fun part! Take out all the inner drawers and line with tissue paper if you wish then fill with treats. You can add anything from chocolate and sweet treats to small toys such as tattoos and stickers.
- Now all you need to do is pop the drawers back in place, making sure you mix up the numbers to make it even more fun!
- If you like to add a star to the top of your tree, cut a short piece of gold card, add two Glitter Star Stickers to one and, fold the other end to create a tab then stick the tab to the top box.
Give your advent tree a traditional spin by filling the boxes with facts about the Nativity story and Nativity stickers