Time to Make
1 hour + drying time for glue
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
To make the magic picture:
- Cover the back of 2 small paper plates with black paint and leave to dry. Paint a thin wooden skewer or garden stick and leave it to dry. As the top section of the stick will be hidden on the finished picture, you can leave one end unpainted painted. Stand the stick in a jar to dry.
- Use a pencil to copy 2 x cat outlines onto white card, one with a paw waving and one with the paw down, then go over the lines with a thick black fibre tipped pen. Add details to the cat’s face with felt pen, so they are both slightly different, with the eyes open and closed or one eye winking.
- Cut out the 2 cat shapes. Thread a bell onto a piece of ribbon then tape the ends onto the back of the cat, so the ribbon fits around the neck, or use double sided tape to stick the ribbon in place.
- Glue 2 red paper doilies onto the painted plates. Turn one of the plates over and tape down the painted stick so the end reaches the middle of the plates, making sure it is securely fixed. Brush glue around the edge of the plate then stick the other plate on top. Glue the cut out cats onto the plates and leave to dry. Twist the stick by rolling between your fingers to see the cat’s face change!
To make the decoration:
- Glue 2 painted paper plates back to back with a piece of ribbon sandwiched in the middle.
- Add the cat and doilies in the same way; the decoration could be double-sided or single-sided. Add some beads onto the ribbon with knots to stop them sliding off.
- Tie a loop at the top.
To make threading the bell easier, cut the end of the ribbon into a diagonal point.