Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Draw around a plate or bowl (15-20cm) onto black card using a pale coloured pencil. Cut out the circle.
- Cut 1.5cm into the edge of the circle then cut all the way round to make a hoop for the planet border. Apply a small amount of glue to one end where the border has been cut, overlap the ends and press together to close the circle.
- Cut out some black card strips, trim so they fit across the circle shape, glue at both ends then stick them across the middle. The extra pieces help to strengthen the planet and add to the stripy effect.
- Cut some strips of cellophane in different colours to fit over the planet shape. Carefully glue around the edge and along the black strips then press the cellophane over the top. Try overlapping pieces cellophane to create different colour effects.
To make an irregular striped pattern, tear the cellophane rather than cutting, so the edges are uneven.
- Trim off any overhanging pieces of cellophane. Make more planets in the same way in different sizes. Arrange the planets in a window fixed with sticky tack or small sticky pads.
Try to avoid touching the middles of the cellophane pieces with sticky fingers so the colours stay as clean as possible.