Time to Make
50 minutes + drying time for clay (24-48 hours) + paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Tear off about half a pack of the modelling clay and wrap up the remaining clay in a plastic bag so it doesn’t dry out. Roll the clay between your hands to form a round ball.
- Take a rolling pin and roll it flat until it’s about half a centimetre thick and big enough to fit your hand across.
- Lay your hand across the flattened clay and with your fingers and thumb together, draw around the shape of your hand using a plastic modelling tool.
- Take your hand away from the clay and then use your plastic modelling tool to cut the handprint out, cutting away the excess clay. Dip your fingers into some water and smooth out the edges of the handprint.
- Use your plastic modelling tool to lightly score the hand details into the clay. Have a look around the house for some objects to make imprints with and have some fun pressing patterns into the clay!
- When you are happy with the look of your handprint design, find a shallow bowl and lay the clay inside, this will help the hand to form a dish shape. Leave the clay to dry overnight, the model can take up to 48 hours before the surface is dry enough to paint.
- Apply two coats of paint in your chosen colour and leave to dry. To add a gloss to the dish, apply two coats of varnish to finish.
Keep a bowl of water handy while you make the dish. If the surface of the clay starts to dry out, rub some water over the top to keep the clay smooth and soft to work with.