Beginner. Adult supervision needed
Time to Make
1 hour 30 minutes
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Lay out three birds onto the felt and carefully draw around them in pencil. Cut out the bird shapes and set aside.
- Draw the basic grid designs onto the birds using a pencil and ruler. You can use the pictures or template.
- Once you have the grid drawn onto your birds, you can start to colour these parts up layer by layer (the floral bits come later). Give the Deco pens a good shake before use, testing them on scrap paper first. Using white first, colour in all of the white base layers, use the picture for reference. Once dry move onto to the next layer – dark blue filling in the background areas and the grid lines. Once dry move onto light blue and fill in the remaining lines and background spaces.
- Start to add the floral details, again layer by layer, allowing colours to dry before adding another on top. Use the picture as your guide. Create pretty little flowers by drawing 5 little petals, starting each petal at the outside edge and dragging the pen into the centre. Add little dot details to finish. Finally, colour all of the edges of the birds in dark blue. Turn the birds over and use the dark blue to outline the inner edge of each bird – the width of the pen is fine.
- Cut 3 pieces of matching blue embroidery thread and put aside for hangers. Apply a thin layer of PVA over the reverse of each bird – right up to the edges. Place the folded thread so that a loop is created at the top of the bird – at least 2cm should be hidden under the felt. Apply a little more PVA on top of the thread, and place the felt bird shape over the top. Once correctly placed, press firmly down and allow to dry under some heavy books.
Make sure to give the deco pens a really good shake before use. Press down on the nibs to start the flow of ink - do this on scrap paper so there is no blobbing on your project!