Time to Make
1 hour 30 minutes
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Open out a Chinese lantern and fix the wire frame inside it. Paint the lantern with two coats of red acrylic and leave to dry.
- Fold a piece of blue paper in half and draw half butterflies on the fold (no bigger than about 7.5cm). Cut out each butterfly and flatten. Add detail to the paper shapes using a permanent black pen then brush PVA glue over the back of the butterfly.
- Press the butterfly onto the side of the lantern, then brush more PVA glue over the top to secure the shape against the ridges of the lantern. Add three more butterflies in the same way. When the glue has dried, add detail with a gold glitter glue pen.
- Fold a spare piece of card in half and wrap two colours of embroidery thread around it nine or ten times.
- Thread another piece of thread through the fold in the card and tie it tightly around the stands keeping the long ends free. Slide the thread off the card and cut the loops to make a tassel.
- Wind more thread around the neck of the tassel and use the long loose thread to secure the tassel to the bottom of the lantern.
Save your lanterns and when the weather is warmer they'll look great hanging from trees in the garden.