Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Cut the ends off two polystyrene ovals or eggs then glue them together to make a body shape.
- Paint the body with two coats of brightly coloured acrylic paint and leave to dry.
- Cut a pipe cleaner into six pieces and bend each bit at the end to make tiny feet. Make six holes in the underside of the body using a pencil and glue the legs in place.
- Cut two matching wing shapes from coloured foam, making sure you leave a 5mm tab to fix into the body. Cut thin strips of white foam and glue onto the wings to look like veins.
- Cut two slots in the top of the insect's body where the wings will sit. If necessary scoop out any pieces of polystyrene to make a clear slot.
- Dab some PVA glue into the slots and push the wing tabs into place. Add a pair of wiggle-eyes to bring your bug to life. Why not make several so you have your own squadron?
Always take care with sharp knives and ask an adult to help you.