Time to Make
1 hour plus drying time for paints & 24-48 hours drying time for the clay
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Working with a small piece of clay at a time, (so not to dry it out), knead in your hand a little before rolling out with a rolling pin. This helps the clay become less sticky. Roll no thinner than 0.5cm
- Take whatever you have chosen to emboss the clay and press carefully but with enough pressure to leave a clear mark.
- Choose a star and bauble cookie cutter or cut a freehand shape, cut into clay ensuring you take partial or all of the embossing into the shape.
- Carefully pierce a small hole at the top of the decoration for the hanging string, using a pointed object. Pierce through front and back to have a clear hole.
- If the edges or the decoration are a little rough, smooth down by wetting your finger and gently rubbing & smoothing.
- Place decoration onto a sheet of tracing paper/baking parchment to dry. The paper will stop it sticking to the surface. Ensure the decoration is as flat as can be to avoid it curling during drying.
- Repeat the process for further decorations. Allow the clay to dry between 24 – 48 hours, turning over to allow the underside to fully dry too.
- MERRY & BRIGHT SNOWFLAKE
- Paint in white acrylic paint front and back & give at least 2 coats for good coverage. Allow to dry between coats.
- Using silver & gold metallic paint and a fine detail brush, paint in the stars.
- Cut a silver 4mm ribbon length, thread through the top hole & knot.
- SNOWFLAKE EMBOSSED SNOWFLAKE
- Paint the whole snowflake in white acrylic paint and before paint dries sprinkle a small amount of iridescent white glitter. Shake off excess and allow to dry.
- Paint over with acrylic satin varnish to fix the glitter.
- Thread through a length of white 4mm satin ribbon at top hole and knot.
Rolling the clay out too thin can lead to cracking & breaking once dry. Roll no thinner than 0.5cm. Seal your artwork with a coat of acrylic satin varnish.