Time to Make
30 minutes per lantern plus 24 hours drying
How to Make
- Blow up a balloon to the desired size of the lantern. Cover entirely with a good layer of vaseline to stop the string sticking to the balloon once dry.
- Create an area to hang / wrap the balloon with a mat underneath to collect the drips
- Hang the balloons in place. Mix up the glue solution according to the recipe.
- Soak the twine in the solution, tie a small knot around the top of the balloon and gradually wind the string around until all areas are covered. Make sure the string isn’t dripping in solution, use your fingers to remove the excess before you wrap. Allow to dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours.
- Once dry and firm, you can remove the balloon. First press the balloon away from the sides to help it come away easily. Pop the balloon and remove.
Create bright pieces by using different colour twine, or dry brushing with paint once finished. Fill with flowers, felt balls or lights.