Time to Make
1 hour + drying time for air hardening clay (24-48 hours +) and paint drying time.
How to Make
- Press some air hardening clay into a 3cm ball. Flatten it slightly to make a 2cm deep oval shape and leave it to thoroughly dry out overnight.
- The dried shape can now be used to form the middle space for the box by adding soft clay around the outside. Break off some new clay and shape a 5cm ball. Flatten it slightly then press it evenly around the dried shape. Press the soft clay into a simple tooth shape, tapering towards the bottom. Smooth the clay with water.
- Leave the clay to dry for a couple of hours, then carefully cut around the middle to make a top and bottom section for the box. You should be able to feel the hard shape in the middle as the knife cuts through the outer layer of clay.
- Gently lift the two sections apart, if they are still too soft leave the clay for another hour or so to dry out a bit more. Once you have separated the two sections leave them to fully dry.
- Use sandpaper to smooth down any uneven edges on the inside and outside of both pieces. Flatten a small piece of soft clay, cut it into a 1cm x 8cm strip and press it around the inside edge of the cavity in the lid section. Smooth it down with water to create a ridge to help he two halves stay together. Leave to dry.
- Smooth any rough areas around the ridge with sandpaper and fill in any gaps with new clay if necessary. Once clay is smoothed and fully dry apply 2 or 3 coats of white paint.
- Paste glue around the middle cavity on both sections of the box, then paste small pieces of coloured tissue to cover the inside.
- Paste a small strip of coloured tissue to the outside of the box. Paint black eyes and a mouth with a small brush and pink cheeks using a cotton bud. Add a coloured button or a flower as decoration.
Only break off the amount of clay you need then tightly wrap any remaining clay in the packaging inside a polythene bag so it doesnt dry out. Leave finished models to dry naturally, they will dry more quickly in a warm room but check its not too near a radiator or the clay may crack.