Time to Make
1 hour plus 6-8 hours for dye to set & extra for washing & drying of T-shirt
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Prepare everything you need before you start so it is all at hand.
- Follow the instructions on the kit for tie dying.
- When the t-shirt is fully dry, lay if flat on a flat surface preferably on a cutting mat. Cut away hem.
- From the bottom, cut 2.5cm strips across the t-shirt up to the sleeve underarm. Do not worry if they are not perfect, the edges will not show when finished.
- Stretch out all the strips then loop them together, matching seams (if t-shirt has them). Put aside.
- Cut around the armhole & cut 2 more strips, same width as before. You should have 4 shorter strips. Cut away any seams or overlocking.
- Take one strip & start wrapping & overlapping tightly around (the seams if you have any), the grouped strips. By wrapping tightly you will secure the end.
- When you come to the end of the end of that strip, take another & continue wrapping ensuring the previous strip end is secured into the wrap, while moving along the strips.
- About half way into wrapping with the strip, add the last 2 strips, letting them hang down. Hold them firmly in place while you continue wrapping with the previous strip. This will hold the 2 strips securely.
- To securely finish the wrapping take the end to the back & feed through a few layers of the wrap. This may be a little fiddly as it is tight. Do this again & pull through tightly & cut off end so it is not visible.
- Lay the necklace flat with the wrap on one side allowing the 2 strips to hang by the side too. Cut those strips to necklace length. Take each one separately & cut 10cm up the centre. Tread 3 pony beads on each strip piece & double knot ends. Cut off excess.
- Your necklace is ready to wear!
You can wear this necklace in different ways. Twist the strips altogether to form a chunky twist or you can double it over to make a shorter necklace.