Time to Make
90 minutes plus drying time for paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Take a piece of A4 white card and cut in half. Tape down onto a protected surface with masking tape. Using watercolour paints in blues and greens colour wash across the paper, but not all the way across. Water down the blue & green metallic acrylic paint in a tray, separately and colour wash over top. Allow to dry before removing masking tape.
- Take the other half of the white card and tape down as before. Starting with the green metallic paint in the tray, colour wash across the middle of the paper all the way down. Keep colour dense (not too watery). Now with the blue, paint on top but in middle of the green, only brushing small strokes from left to right. Allow to dry before removing masking tape. This piece will be for the butterflies.
- With the water coloured piece of card, cut it 15.1cms x 10.8cms ensuring you get some of the white card in not just the painted. Section it into 3 wavy pieces by drawing 2 wavy lines.
- Cut a piece of self-adhesive paper the same size as card piece and stick to the back. Do not remove backing. Using a craft knife cut out the sections.
- On the metallic painted card, draw a butterfly ensuring it’s middle is in the blue and wings in the green. You can make it as simple or intricate as you like. Do the same for the small butterflies or you can use a butterfly punch.
- Cut a blue board card piece 35cms x 12cm. Draw the centre line and score. Fold in half.
- Leaving a 0.6cm border, stick the sections down, starting with the top, then bottom and finally middle.
- Write ‘Thanks’ sentiment using brush felt pens.
- Stick down the butterflies, gluing only their middles. When fully dry, lift wings so they are off the card.
- Position the small gems and then stick them down.
Before painting, tape your paper down with masking tape to avoid it warping/wrinkling when it dries. If it does wrinkle a little, iron it out with a hot iron –no steam.