Time to Make
1 hour + drying time for paint
How to Make
- Remove the drawer from the jewellery box. Paint the box and drawer inside and outside using a light brown colour. Leave to dry then paint over the brown with a layer of light blue. Leave to dry.
- Lightly brush over the box and drawer with white paint. If the paint looks too thick, brush some of it off onto scrap paper so the brush is fairly dry.
- Rub sandpaper over the box to remove some of the paint. Rub the sandpaper harder around the corners to make them rounded. Rub along the edges of the box, lid and around the drawer knob to expose the wood underneath. Keep rubbing with sandpaper until you have distressed effect.
- Brush off any loose paint or dust and check the drawer fits easily into the box.
- Cut some pieces of patterned paper to fit inside the top sections of the box and into the drawer. Stick the paper in place with double-sided tape. Stick a piece of paper on the underside of the lid and a thin patterned strip around the side.
Try rubbing the sandpaper harder on some parts of the box to remove the paint layers. This creates more contrast between the coloured areas and the exposed wood.