Time to Make
1 hour 30 minutes
How to Make
- Place a ball of blue tack onto your work surface and press the end of a bamboo stick into it; this keeps the stick secure while painting and drying. Use a paint brush to apply a coat of pearlescent acrylic to the entire length of the bamboo stick. Leave to dry fully. Repeat to paint your desired number of bamboo sticks. Once the paint has fully dried you can apply additional coats as wished.
- Find a gap in the woven surface of the wicker balls and carefully move the strips of wood apart. Carefully insert the bamboo stick into the gap and press towards the centre; this will make a small hole for the stick without breaking the woven strands. Remove the stick and apply a dab of glue from the glue gun to the tip of the bamboo stick and re-insert it through the small gap, pressing firmly to secure it to the centre of the ball. Set aside to allow the glue to bond the two pieces together.
- Once the wicker balls have been affixed securely onto the painted bamboo sticks apply a coat of the pearlescent acrylic paint to the ball. As the surface isn't completely smooth you will need to work the bristles of the brush around to ensure that as much of the surface is covered. Set aside to dry. Continue adding additional coats of paint for neat coverage and allow to dry.
- Once dry, apply highlights of glitter using the PicTixx Glitter Pens. Selecting woven strands at random, work a line of glitter along one edge of the strand. Rotate the ball and continue adding glitter highlights around the entire surface of the ball. Allow to dry.
- Gather together the bamboo sticks and wrap a length of ribbon at the point where the sticks cross. Wrap the ribbon five or six times around the bamboo stick to hold them securely. Fasten into a bow and add to a vase or jar to create your centrepiece.