Time to Make
1 hour + drying time for paint
How to Make
- Mix up some colours for painting the heart. Place the 2 heart sections and the base onto some scrap paper.
- Paint the 2 wooden hearts including around the edges, when the paint has started to dry, fill in the lower area under the hearts using a contrasting colour and paint the middle section. Leave to dry, turn the pieces over and repeat to paint on the other side. Leave to dry.
- When the paint has fully dried, rub around the edges with sandpaper to create a worn effect. Rub the sandpaper harder to expose more of the wood underneath.
- To decorate the hearts, paint a pattern or some lettering onto one side of both sections. Leave to dry.
- Cut out hessian and felt hearts, the sizes will vary depending on your design. To cut a symmetrical heart, fold a hessian or felt square in half, cut a half heart shape, open out then glue onto the wooden heart background.
- Push all 3 wooden sections together to make a 3D shape for the holder.
Before you start, to help position hand-painted lettering, draw around the wooden heart onto paper, then draw the letters or numbers in the middle using a pencil. Scribble on the reverse side of the paper with a soft pencil. Draw over the tracing to transfer the lettering onto the heart once it’s been painted and dried. Carefully paint over the pencil guidelines with a thin brush.