Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Cut a 60cm piece of gold cord. Tape the cord to your work surface about 10cm from one end then start threading beads along the length of the cord, until you have reached 10cm from the other end. It will take about 60 beads to do this. Tie a double knot at both ends hold the beads in place. If the beads slide over the knot, add a small blob of glue to hold them in place.
- Fold the beaded cord in half to find the middle point. Cut a 1-metre length of gold cord and tie it around it the middle point, so there is an equal amount of thread hanging down in 2 pieces.
- Thread 15 beads onto one piece of the cord hanging down. Count 12 beads along the top string then knot the cord around it to make a loop. Repeat this to make another loop with beads, in the same way, counting another 12 beads along the top string. Thread the end of the cord through the last couple of beads on the top string then tie the ends into a knot. Make a loop then tie the ends with another knot. Repeat on the other side to make 2 more beaded loops.
- To make the hanging shapes, cut out 5 squares (5cm x 5cm) or circles (6cm diameter) from coloured card. Glue some smaller card shapes in the middles then decorate with gems.
- Cut 5 x pieces of gold cord 15cm in length. Tie the ends between the loops in the beaded string the thread with 6-8 beads. Tie a knot at the end then tape the cord onto the back of the card shape so they hang down
Other traditional motifs for Toran hangings include mango leaves and bells, which can be cut from card and added to your design. Try making your own variations with different colours and shapes.